Wednesday, October 26, 2011

#Klout changed its scoring algorithm and people seem more than a little disgruntled, #Twitter users seem to be seeing large drops

Are you upset about the new Klout Score?


Klout changed its scoring algorithm and people seem more than a little disgruntled. Klout says "a majority of users will see their Scores stay the same or go up but some users will see a drop," but many heavy Twitter users seem to be seeing large drops in their scores. A few commenters on the Klout blog post argue this might be due to a new focus on Facebook use, but it's all speculation.

What do you think? Are you happy with your score? Did it change? I never connected Facebook, myself, because I use that for personal interaction. Why measure my influence there?

I'm struggling with the idea that anyone should be angry about a made up measurement being changed. A lot of people are complaining that the time and effort they put into Klout is lost, but isn't Klout just supposed to measure what you're doing independently of Klout? I might misunderstand. It seems to me that genuine influence is not gained by chasing a number. That said, many are arguing that their bosses and/or clients are going to lose faith. It's an interesting situation, that's for sure.

Some are even comparing Klout's changes to the seemingly doomed Netflix PR nightmare from recent weeks. Yikes.